No one ever expects that they will become disabled but it happens much more often than people think. It has been estimated that one quarter of all people who are 20 years old will become disabled by the time they are set to retire. More than 12% of the American population is disabled. That is more than 37 million people. More than 2.5 million people who are in their 20s through their 40s receive disability benefits. In 2014, the average age for disabled people was 53.7 years old. If you have become disabled, you may not think you need a disability insurance attorney but here are some reasons why you should.
- They will help with the claim. They know how to draft it, they know the deadlines and they can get it all done in the right time frame.. Filling out the forms is not like filling out a lease agreement or even a job application. They are complicated and the likelihood you will be turned down if you do it yourself is much greater than if you go with an experienced disability insurance attorney. If you have someone come in and take care of your taxes, you should understand the value of having an experienced disability insurance attorney handle all of the paperwork and do the grunt work.
- The rules regarding disability insurance change all of the time. Whether you are looking at a long term disability attorney or a short term disability attorney, going with someone who can help you navigate the waters and deal with the process can be really helpful and get you the outcome that is what you need and deserve. You need an expert by your side to make sure you get everything you need.
- They can handle the evidence collection. They know what insurance companies are looking for. They can talk to witnesses, hire (if needed) someone to investigate and take depositions. If you were disabled as a result of a car accident that was not your fault, your case may be bolstered by having forensic experts some out and look at the scene of the accident to prove your version of what happened. Your insurance company wants to pay out as little as possible and your disability insurance will be able to dot all of your i’s and cross your t’s to make sure your case is as strong as possible.
- They can draft your appeal. Insurance companies make their money because they sell policies that they never expect to have to pay out on. For that reason, they deny as many claims as they possibly can. If your initial claim is denied, and it can happen even with a disability insurance attorney on your side. Having them with you from the beginning will greatly increase the chances that your initial claim will not be denied. Do not get discouraged if they do deny it but this is when you really need a disability insurance attorney to draft the appeal.
- They can deal with your insurance carrier. They are going to want to get away with paying out as little as they can. If you have recently been disabled, this is not the time that you want to be hassled by your insurance carrier, who may try to get you to sign something and accept fewer benefits that you need and deserve. By having your attorney deal with them, you will greatly lower your stress level. They can evaluate any offers from your insurance carrier and let you know if they send one that is fair.
- Your Cincinnati disability attorney will represent you if you ever do go to court. You never want to be in court without a lawyer. They can present your case in the best light and protect your interests. This one reason to have a disability attorney with you from your initial claim. You will feel a lot better facing a judge with someone you know and trust by your side.
Regardless of the kind of disability case you have, it is always a complicated process and disability is not always as easy to prove as it should be. That is why there are social security disability lawyers, too. Your lawyer will make a difference.