Family lawyers deal with a wide range of issues, but as the name suggests, most of them have to do with marriage and children. But even within these broad categories, there are specific things that only a family lawyer is equipped to deal with. If you’re looking for legal assistance with any of the following issues, chances are you need a lawyer who specializes in family law.
- Divorce: In the U.S., there is an average of one divorce every 36 seconds. That’s 2,400 per day, 16,800 per week, and 876,000 every year. Divorce lawyers are commonly familiar with other family law issues as well.
- Child Custody: Of course, child custody often goes hand in hand with divorce for couples who have children together. Work out an arrangement that’s best for everybody.
- Child Support: Negotiating the terms of child support is important for both couples who are separating and those who may have never been married in the first place. Lawyers may also become necessary is child support payments go undelivered.
- Alimony: In other cases, spousal support or alimony may be part of a divorce negotiation.
- Paternity: A contested paternity claim can be handled by a family lawyer as well. Paternity suits may involve not only the biological father, but also the acknowledged father, presumed father, equitable father, etc.
- Guardianship: In the event that neither parent is able to care for children, a lawyer may need to be involved in assigning guardianship for minors as detailed by the law.
- Adoptions: Lawyers can help in unification of families, too. A step-parent adoption, foster adoption, or other types of adoption can be assisted with help from a family lawyer to guide you through the paperwork.
As we all know, families can bring out the best and the worst in people. While they’re often full of love, they can sometimes produce complicated problems, too. It’s good to have an outsider’s perspective on things sometimes, especially when it comes to matters of the law. When you need help, make sure to find a family lawyer who is knowledgeable in the practice area you need and can assist you from start to finish.