Are you looking at getting a divorce? There are a lot of people in your same shoes. A full 10% of the population in the United States is divorced. Many of these people have children. It has been estimated that at least 1.5 million parents file for a divorce every year across America. If this is something you are considering, you need to talk to a divorce lawyer. Most family law attorneys recommend the following tips when it comes to finding the fight divorce lawyer.
1. Talk to your friends and family. Given the number of people who get divorces every year, the chances are good that you know at least one person who has been or is getting a divorce. The best way to find quality products and services is to get a personal recommendation from someone you know and trust. This is true when it comes to getting any kind of lawyer. You will need someone who can practice in your state, so unfortunately the amazing lawyer who helped your cousin in Florida cannot help you. You need a local family law or divorce attorney to help you with your divorce. Your friends and family can also offer valuable support.
2. Decide what your goals are. What do you want to get out of your divorce? You should know, going in, that there really are no winners in a divorce, Having said that, there may be some things that you are looking for. If you have children, you will need a child custody lawyer to help with the issues there. If you have a business or medical practice together, you will need to talk to an attorney who has experience with those issues. You need to decide what your “must haves” are and what areas are easier for you to compromise. You will need to compromise at least a little during this process.
3. Look online. Go to Facebook, Yelp and Angie’s List. If you have some law firms that you are looking for, you should look their websites up. It does not hurt to do a Google search for the type of family law attorneys you’re looking for. These searches can give you a sense of what your options are and what people are saying about the lawyers in your area. There are a lot of Facebook groups out there that are around to promote local businesses.
4. Talk to a few divorce attorneys. All law firms offer free consultations to prospective clients so that you can get to know them and they can get to know you. You should use this as a chance to ask then all of your questions. Remember, if a law firm is not going to take the time to answer your question before you are a client, you can bet that they are not going to take the time for you afterwards.
5. Ask the right questions.
Why did you go into family law? You want someone who is passionate about their job. Your case is more than just a case to you, it is your life. Make sure they really care about what they do.
- How long have you practiced this kind of law? You want someone with a long track record working on family law cases. This may not be the time to go with the newest lawyer in town.
- How much of your practice is family law or divorce cases? It will matter little if they have been working on divorce cases for 20 years if they only handle one case a year. Ideally, your lawyer handles a decent number of these cases and can really help get you what you need and want.
- Who will be working on my case? Law firms have a number of people who work on these cases, you should know who will be working on yours.
- What is your fee and billing structure like? You want a lawyer you can afford.
Getting a divorce is a painful process and many people feel like a failure when they are going through it. You are not a failure. You should be good to yourself and know that you will get through it.